Fellows symposium - freedom, practice, trust and sustainability
A day of discussions on the biggest issues facing journalists and the media worldwide organised by the Reuters Institute's current Journalist Fellows.
Open to all. Please register your attendance with Events and Fellowship Officer, Philippa Garson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arrival and coffee
Welcoming remarks - Rasmus Nielsen, Director, Reuters Institute
10:10-11:10 - Session 1
No country for journalists
Journalism and journalists are under varying yet escalating levels of threat in all corners of the world. Journalists from four very different countries discuss the current situation.
- James Miles, Political Correspondent, Ekstra Bladet, Denmark (moderator)
- Ezgi Başaran, former Editor-in-Chief of Radikal Newspaper and now Coordinator of University of Oxford Programme on Contemporary Turkey (guest panellist)
- Soma Basu, Investigative Journalist and Founder of reporteratlarge.org, India
- Alexandra Vladimirova, Journalist, Russia
11:10-12:10 - Session 2
Ground reporting vs ‘desktop journalism’
Do we need to be there to get the story? From field reporters on the ground to digital journalists behind a screen, what is the importance of journalists' presence in getting the story in this changing mediascape?
- Mozart Pastrano, Arts & Culture Journalist, Philippines (moderator)
- Nagham Mohanna, Reporter, Gaza Center for Media Freedom, Palestine
- Kadia Tubman, Politics Reporter, Yahoo News, USA
- Tomasz Augustyniak, South & Southeast Asian Correspondent, Poland
13:00-14:00 - Session 3
Trust in journalism: How is it built and how is it lost?
How media literacy, political systems and polarization of media affect trust towards journalism?
- Dr. Lucas Graves, Director of Research, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism (moderator)
- Zijuan Zhong, Researcher, The Economist, China
- Aura Lindeberg, Executive Producer of Audio, YLE, Finland
- Nirvana El Saied, Journalist, BBC Arabic, Egypt
14:00-14:55 - Session 4
Getting your audience to pay for news (again)
Will blockchain save us all? Or philanthropy? How will media organisations turn a profit in the years to come?
- Michael Leitner, Technology Journalist, Austria (moderator)
- Alan Rusbridger, former editor-in-chief, The Guardian, now principal of Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford
- Ivan Sigal, Executive Director, Global Voices
- Anita Zielina, former Chief Product Officer at NZZ Media Group, Zurich, and designated Director of Leadership and Innovation at City University of New York (CUNY)
- Daniel Ionescu, Editor and Co-founder of The Lincolnite
Closing remarks - Meera Selva, Director of the Journalism Fellowship Programme, Reuters Institute
Coffee and refreshments