Future Leaders in News
Focused course for new and aspiring news leaders
Next date: 29-30 November. Apply by 12 November.
Upcoming dates: 28-29 March 2019; 16-17 May 2019; 21-22 November 2019
Whether you have recently assumed a news leadership role, aspire to hold one, or you are a journalist or media manager resuming a leadership role, our Future Leaders in News course aims to help you:
- Gain insights about your audiences - and act on them
- Develop your knowledge of project and people management
- Discover techniques to promote innovation and change
- Create strategies to address your management challenges
- Build your network
Welcome dinner in an Oxford University college
Session 1: Journalism Exists in the Context of its Audience
Rasmus Kleis Nielsen: Director, Reuters Institute; Professor of Political Communication, University of Oxford; Editor, Reuters Institute Digital News Report
- Where do different people get their news?
- How do they think about the content they consume?
- What do they value and when will they pay?
Session 2: It’s the People, Stupid! Building Trust in Your Organisation
Alexandra Borchardt, Director of Leadership Programmes, Reuters Institute; Former Managing Editor, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Germany; Lecturer in leadership, Technical University of Munich
- What to pay attention to when leading people
- How to focus your strategy
- Getting beyond groupthink to foster innovation
Session 3: Driving Change in the Newsroom
Anita Zielina, Visiting Fellow, Reuters Institute; Former Chief Product Officer, Neue Zürcher Zeitung Media Group, Austria
- The role of leadership, culture and communication in a transition period
- Empowering innovation in an existing organisation: Roles, methods and tools
- Introducing a data-driven mindset and user-centred product development methods
Cost: £995 including lunch and a dinner at an Oxford University college (travel and accommodation not included)
Location: Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, 13 Norham Gardens, Oxford, OX2 6PS
Registration: Send a brief bio to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 November